Wednesday, February 27, 2008

What maketh a local?



What makes a pub 'a local'? And indeed, what makes you 'a local'?

For me, a local pub is a resting place, a fortress of solitude, a celebration place, a meeting place, a happy place and a sad place all rolled into one. Indeed like 'Cheers' it's a place where everybody knows your name.

I like the fact you can walk into a local, nod at the barman (who you are on a first name basis with) and be served your usual drink with minimum fuss. I enjoy how there is no dress code, no pretence and very few limits imposed on you that may be forced upon a new comer. For instance, I have enjoyed the luxury of bringing a sandwich or a kebab into the bar from the shop or fast food joint on the corner, a highly taboo subject for even the most relaxed of bars and it wouldn't be unheard of me to doze quietly in the corner after a marathon drinking session. In fact, I have witnessed behaviour that would get the Pope thrown out of the pub that is tolerated by staff and locals in a local pub. But why? I suppose the economists would say that a local patron over their lifetime will put many thousands of Euros over the counter and the odd behavioural blemish now and then is acceptable in order to keep a steady income, but I think it is more deep rooted than that.

The locals in a pub are a family, and like all families they have their ups and downs and their falling outs, but ultimately, Guinness is thicker than water and it sorts itself out. People mourn the loss of a regular and delight in each others success's; at the births of children, communions, confirmations and weddings or a winning bet. It is a self contained community with a subtle yet clearly defined hierarchy, usually dictated by seniority but sometimes by sporting knowledge or musical ability.

The local is somewhere to turn in times of need, whether it be financial or you are simply looking for some lads to help you weed your garden, you can be sure someone in your local will give you a dig out (excuse the pun)! It is a home away from home, somewhere to escape to when the world outside gets too much, somewhere to hide from the pressures of life.

Somewhere to enjoy.

If there is a heaven, and God truely loves us, then I know my heaven will be sitting at the end of the bar in my local, a pint in my hand, a smile on my face, surrounded by family and friends with nothing but laughter and song and of course; eternal craic.

No comments:

Himself

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Beer lover, Loving Husband and Dad :-) - oh and I'm an expert recruiter